Coronary heart disease (CAD) is the most common heart disease, resulting in a heart attack when uncontrolled, which also happens to be the leading cause of death among people above the age of 20. It is essential to know everything about Coronary Artery Disease, in order to prevent yourself from developing the condition or treating it if you’re diagnosed with the condition. Knowledge is essential to making the best possible medical decision.
What is Coronary Artery Disease?
Coronary Artery Disease results from the buildup of plaque in the coronary arteries, which supply blood to the heart. This buildup eventually blocks the arteries, which decreases blood flow to the heart, causing chest pain, and eventually a heart attack with complete blockage. Plaque is typically made of cholesterol deposits that line the arteries.
What are the causes of Coronary Artery Disease?
There are various Coronary Artery Disease reasons, depending on the patient’s lifestyle and genetics:
• High blood pressure or Hypertension
• Smoking, especially for more than a few years
• High cholesterol, which causes fatty deposits
• Type 2 diabetes, caused by insulin resistance
• Genetic predisposition to CAD
• Lack of regular exercise to remain healthy
What are the symptoms of Coronary Artery Disease?
Knowing the common Coronary Artery Disease symptoms can help you seek timely treatment when the issue begins to surface.
• Chest pain that feels like tightness or pressure in the chest area, usually caused after immense physical or emotional stress.
• A heart attack, which is caused when the artery becomes completely blocked, causing a crushing pain and pressure on the chest, making the patient sweat and feel breathless.
• Shortness of breath that develops after physical stress, as your heart is unable to pump enough blood, causing the body to feel exerted.
• Burning in the chest that can also be mistaken for heartburn or indigestion, or vice versa.
How to treat Coronary Artery Disease?
A Coronary Artery Disease test helps in determining the severity of the condition, after which the best treatment option can be decided.
• Lifestyle changes
Making certain lifestyle changes to improve your health is beneficial in minimizing the devastating effects of CAD. Patients are advised to quit smoking, exercise regularly, and eat nutritious food, along with getting their blood pressure and blood sugar levels regularly checked.
Most patients with Coronary Artery Disease have prescribed medicines such as cholesterol modifiers, blood thinners, beta blockers, and more, which can reduce the occurrence of future heart attacks and keep you healthy.
• Surgical Procedures
Certain surgeries such as Angioplasty, stent placement, and coronary bypass surgery help keep the arteries open or divert the blood flow through another vessel.
Coronary Artery Disease is a serious condition that requires medical intervention at the earliest, in order to ensure that the risk of fatality is minimized and you can continue to live life as usual, without the threat of a heart attack looming over your head. MPCT hospital is one of the premier hospitals in Mumbai, offering world-class treatments by industry experts, at the best possible cost of Coronary Artery Disease tests and treatments. Get a thorough consultation that proves to be life-saving, today.