Stomach cancer, also known as gastric cancer, is caused by the growth of cancer cells in the lining of the stomach. Being slow-growing cancer, it can be quite hard to diagnose, especially since cancer in different areas of the stomach exhibits different symptoms. This type of cancer cells tends to spread to other parts of the body, such as the liver, lungs, and more.
Stomach Cancer Symptoms
The stomach cancer symptoms can be hard to identify in the beginning stages. The key is to look out for prolonged symptoms that occur together.
- Weight loss
- Constant fatigue
- Stomach pain
- Unexplained Nausea or vomiting
- Bloating after meals
- Feeling full after eating a small amount of food/loss of appetite.
Stomach Cancer Causes
While the direct cause of gastric cancer can be hard to diagnose, there are various factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition.
- Infection caused by Helicobacter Pylori
- High intake of salt
- Smoking or tobacco use
- Stomach polyps
- Contact with asbestos
Stomach Cancer Prevention
As there is no exact cause of stomach cancer, no precise measures can be taken. However, some lifestyle factors can minimize the risk of gastric cancer.
- Avoid smoking or tobacco use
- Eat more fibrous fruits and vegetables
- Exercise regularly
- Wear protective garments if exposed to asbestos at the workplace
Stomach Cancer Diagnosis
There are a few methods for stomach cancer diagnosis, depending on the symptoms you exhibit
- Upper Endoscopy
- PET/CT Scan/ Imaging tests
- Gastric Examination
- Barium Meal X Ray
Stomach Cancer Treatment
Gastric Cancer is treated based on the type and progression of the condition. There are four stomach cancer treatment in India.
- Surgery - In the initial stages, stomach cancer can be treated with surgery where the surgeon might remove a part of or the entire stomach
- Chemotherapy - Administered orally or intravenously, chemotherapy can help with certain types of stomach cancer
- Radiation Therapy - A high-impact treatment, powerful radiations are used, to kill cancer cells
- Immunotherapy - Medicines that influence the body’s infection-fighting system to kill cancer cells.
Stomach Cancer Treatment Success with MPCT Hospital
Our Cancer Institute has consistently provided excellent treatments for cancer patients. Our procedures are highly-targeted, ensuring a positive outcome for each patient suffering from stomach cancer. With skilled oncologists and surgeons across each organ-specific division in our renowned Institute of Cancer, we work towards offering comprehensive treatments to patients. MPCT Hospital in Mumbai, India uses advanced, cutting-edge technology to provide treatments of the highest quality at each step. Avail the best treatments for Abdominal & Gastric cancer that keep you in focus at all times.