Breast cancer in women begins to form by changes in the cells of breast tissue or lobules in the breast that contain milk glands and ducts, lymph nodes, arteries, veins, connective tissue, and more. Incendiary breast cancer can also cause the breast to redden or swell up, and feel warm. Cancer cells are often uncontrolled, and progress to the lymph nodes under the arms, which is when a majority of breast cancer cases are diagnosed. Lymph nodes are the primary pathways for the spread of cancer cells in the body.
Breast Cancer Symptoms
Breast cancer can sometimes be hard to identify, with some symptoms showing up only after a short while. Moreover, exhibiting one of these symptoms may not always indicate that you have breast cancer.
- Change in the appearance of your nipples or breasts
- Change in how the nipples and breasts feel
- Bloody discharge from the nipples
Breast Cancer Causes
The exact cause of breast cancer is not fully known. However, some lifestyle or health factors could increase the risk of breast cancer.
- Ladies have a higher chance of breast cancer
- Women with dense breast tissue have a higher chance of breast cancer, along with difficulty in diagnosing the disease
- In some cases, breast cancer may be hereditary
- In some women, having a child at an older age, or suffering failed pregnancies can increase the risk of breast cancer
- Most ladies above the age of 55 are at risk of developing the condition
- Contraceptives such as birth control pills can increase the risk of breast cancer
- Obesity causes higher insulin and estrogen levels in women, which poses a risk for breast cancer
Breast Cancer Prevention
There are no foolproof preventative measures that can be taken. However, women can take certain measures to prevent breast cancer from developing.
- Exercising regularly
- Ovarian ablation
- Taking estrogen reception modulators for less exposure of breast tissue to estrogen
- Women who are high risk of breast cancer can undergo a mastectomy
Breast Cancer Diagnosis
An initial assessment to identify breast cancer the symptoms is conducted. Breast cancer can be accurately diagnosed with a few tests
- PET/CT Scan
- MRI Scan
Breast Cancer Treatment
Breast cancer must be appropriately treated depending on the type and progression of the condition. There are two types of treatments for breast cancer.
- Local Treatments:
Breast Cancer can be treated with surgery and radiation therapy, without affecting any other part of the body not affected by cancer.
- Systemic Treatments:
The doctor administers certain drugs to be taken orally or intravenously, which is used in cohesion with hormone therapy or chemo therapy, as well as targeted therapy. These three holistic therapies are given together in advanced breast cancer screening.
Why MPCT Hospital?
Our Cancer Institute provides comprehensive treatments of the highest quality to all cancer patients. Our organ specific cancer divisions offer highly specialized services for various types of Breast cancer, Brain cancer, and more. With highly skilled oncologists, radiologists and more, each physician works with surgeons across multiple departments, to offer a wholesome treatment that gives each patient the highest chance of a positive outcome. MPCT hospital in Mumbai houses state-of-the-art equipment, ensuring that each treatment maintains the highest standard of excellence.