The formation of cancerous cells around the throat, neck, sinus, mouth, and larynx marks the beginning of head and neck cancer. The cancer cells in Head and Neck cancer are generally squamous, meaning flat cells that form a thin layer of tissues on affected area. There are 5 types of head and neck cancer:
- Oral and Oropharyngeal Cancer: The growth of cancer cells in the mouth & upper part of throat , from the tonsils to the top portion of the voice box
- Laryngeal and Hypopharyngeal Cancer: Cancer cells that grow on the larynx or voice box, and the hypopharynx, which is the lower part of the throat.
- Salivary Gland Cancer: Cancer that affects the salivary gland, which is responsible for keeping our mouth moist and swallowing food.
- Nasal Cavity and Paranasal Sinus Cancer: The formation of the growth of carcinoma cells in the nasal activity and paranasal sinuses, which is the space between our nose from which air flows into the nasal cavity.
- Nasopharyngeal Cancer: The formation of cancer cells behind the nasal cavity & below the base of skull.
- Thyroid cancer : Thyroid gland is a gland in the middle of neck which makes thyroid hormone. Cancer happens when there is abnormal cell growth in this gland.
Mouth Cancer Symptoms
The typical symptoms of mouth cancer are:
- Swelling or persistent sores
- Lumps or masses in the neck
- Red or white mouth patches
- Constant sore throat / Trouble swallowing /speaking
- Hoarseness or sudden voice change
- Persistent nasal congestion
- Frequent nasal bleeds
Mouth Cancer Causes
The causes of oral cancer symptoms are mainly lifestyle oriented
- Tobacco use (smoking or chewing)
- Exposure to wood and asbestos
- Excessive consumption of preserved or salted food
- Bad oral health
- Contact with radiation
Mouth Cancer Prevention
There are a few measures that you can take, to ensure that your risk of contracting head and neck cancer is greatly minimized
- Avoid any tobacco use
- Limit salt and preserved foods in your diet
- Maintain excellent oral hygiene
- Wear protective clothing if exposed to wood, radiation, or asbestos at the workplace
Mouth Cancer Diagnosis
Doctors conduct a variety of tests to diagnose oral cancer, and also determine if it has spread to other parts of the body. There are a few tests that determine the presence of mouth cancer.
Mouth Cancer Treatment
There are a few different methods for head and neck, and oral cancer treatment, depending on the type and location of cancerous cells.
- Surgery: Type of surgery depends on where the cancer is located and what is the size of tumor
- Radiation Therapy:The use of high energy X rays to destroy cancer cells in the body or may given in adjuvant setting after surgery to prevent the recurrence.
- Chemotherapy: Chemotherapy is the administration of drugs, to stop the cancer cells’ ability to divide and spread. It can be used with radiation therapy in head and neck advanced cancers.
- Targeted Therapy: This treatment only targets the cancerous area, while not touching the healthy tissue surrounding it.
Why MPCT Hospital?
The Cancer Institute at MPCT in Mumbai hospital offers the finest oral cancer treatment in India, consistently delivering exceptional treatments to help patients from all over battle their condition. Our organ specific divisions, each house cutting-edge technology that promotes accuracy and safety with each step. With world-renowned specialists, ranging from oncologists to radiologists, and more, each case is treated with extreme skill, allowing for unparalleled treatments of excellent quality, delivering compassion and excellence with every step.